Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Spence Diamonds?




I was doing research on Spence Diamonds for a corporate project and came across their logo. Compared to most diamond/jewellery companies, their logo is different because of the choice of typeface. As you can see, it is very geometrical, sans serif, boxy and plain in comparison to the common frilly, script or serif font that denotes elegance. At first, I disliked the choice of typeface, especially for a diamond store, which is ‘supposed’ to look classy and rich, which led me to conclude that it needed to be redesigned. What made the designer choose this style of font? Thinking about it now, maybe Spence chose this typeface for a reason - to distinguish themselves from the usual conventional logos that exist today. Perhaps they wanted to portray a sense of strength and power in their diamonds, or a strong/reliable quality of service, or a modern look…that might appeal to ‘men’? since ‘many’ of their customers would be men buying diamonds for their wives? Now that I look it, I like how it’s so unconventional. I think it connotes a sense of openness, honesty as well as durability, which goes well with their mission statement which boasts providing customers ‘the industry’s most comprehensive purchase protection’. And maybe it’s the Canadian nature in them that they didn’t want to convey a sense of class that is too often associated with high society and therefore intimidation. After all, their ultimate goal is to create a better diamond buying experience for everyone that walks in the door. Perhaps I am trying justify a really bad choice of typeface. But the more I analyze it, the more I like it. But after having said all that, my first reaction is probably the essence of a logo. To communicate connotations of the commonly associated.

- Sally

No comments: