Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Esprit De Corp



I remember ESPRIT from my early years. I distinctly remember the white polo I had with the red ESPRIT logo stitched into it. It was a Grade 1 staple, I suppose. Something I could always fall back on. This logo brings me back to that time, and also says something about certain styles that are coming back today. Stencil type is back, and the pasteled 80's are, too. The font itself is a re-drawn, altered version of Helvetica. The image was scanned from the book Esprit: The Comprehensive Design Principle which, as of today, is my favourite book. Esprit was a company that for 10 years had no idea about fashion or branding, and come 1980 became an international phenomenon for it's distinct image and lifestyle. You may not know but there was an Esprit Caffe and a restaurant, and stores all over the world which were renowned for their incredible interiors. Wow. And check out that "E." I find it interesting that even though the graphic is completely flat, it suggests something real and tangible with the "fold" over the die-cut "T." It appears to be a representation of a sticker, which I think screams "this is a brand." Anyways, I guess this whole post is just in general praise of Esprit's graphic designers, John Casado and Tamotsu Yagi – true originals.

-Colin

No comments: