Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Emily Carr @ AGO



I usually come across this big poster that advertises for an Emily Carr exhibition on my way to work and I always sigh over the typographic treatment. It may not be all that innovative or ground breaking but neither is it the usual hideousness that we often are subjected to in various other advertisements. I guess I appreciate it for it’s understated and simple treatment and how the designer relied on the colour selection and fonts to, in a way, describe the exhibit. After years of art history classes, I instantly recognized the name ‘Emily Carr’ as a Canadian artist/painter who often depicted Canadian landscapes and had a long and valuable association with The Group of Seven. The font used for her name is different from the rest of the text, a delicate and almost organic font that I feel reflects her art works that are fluid and natural. The colour schemes of her paintings were similar to those used on the poster. The tracking and the fact that the font is different from the rest of the text allow the viewer to enjoy the display font employed. All the words are in lowercase that emphasizes the rounded letters and relates to the organic shapes in her paintings.

~Teri Yeung

No comments: