Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Park (here)




The conventional ‘Park’ signage. Except not really. Well, the ‘P’ in the circle is probably more recognizable as a parking sign and more instantaneous in comprehension that there is parking. I am just waiting for the day that I encounter a ‘Park’ sign that is in a serif font so I can ask ‘Why?’ but this parking sign is understandably in a sans serif because the design does not require a decorative font but rather calls for an efficient font that will allow for a rapid informative purpose. Although I know that this sign indicates that there is parking for cars, I can’t help but wonder about tourists from other countries where the conventions differ. Would they interpret this sign the same way as we do? Or maybe they are more inclined to think that there is an actual park beyond those red arrows. There is no iconic symbol accompanying the words so now it just seems kind of empty to me. Those arrows also kind of irk me because I keep thinking that the parking is ‘downstairs’ although I know it means it’s forward.

~Teri Yeung

No comments: