Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I Met The Walrus



So I was just wandering around downtown and came across this poster that caught my eye with the big caps, san serif font of a seemingly arbitrary phrase ‘I Met the Walrus.’ I don’t know what it was about this poster that caught my eye, the random phrase that amused me somewhat, the medium, or that it was relatively nicely designed compared to the rest of the posters that were ostentatiously demanding that I go to some event or another. Really, the phrase meant nothing to me but after researching it, I’ve discovered that ‘I Met The Walrus’ is a short animation on an interview that a young Beatles fanatic, Josh Raskin, managed to swing having followed John Lennon to his hotel room during the infamous hotel ‘bed-in.’ I find myself wondering if I’m missing some popular culture information because the title still doesn’t make any sense to me. It must mean something to Beatles fans otherwise there would be more information than just the title of the short animation. How many people would remember this poster long enough for them to get home and look it up? The only logical explanation would be that this phrase is a widely known connection with the Beatles, specifically John Lennon and his stand against war and how the government was trying to keep him out because he was promoting peace, blah blah blah…It’s a modern day connection…like William Hong in relation to American Idol rejects.

~Teri Yeung

No comments: