Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Nuts About Bolts?



















Looking through the content of my gf's basement/laundry room area, I'll find tons of old goodies lying around. It's a great place for me to peek around for some type. I found this old tool box, and since we have all just dealt with this whole type as image deal, i thought this piece would be an excellent subject. Though it in no way tries to imitate specific tool forms or symbolic references, i get the feeling of tools, calculation and related subject matter through its subtle characteristics. It doesn't feel like just another modern typeface. Through perspective, dimension and layout the type seems to feel authentic and one with the content of this toolbox, a visual harmony that seems a bit different then most toolbox labels. There seems to be that element of playfull attitude that lets it stand out in comparison, yet it still feels precise.

I dunno, i think I've gone mad... maybe I'll start to seeing new things in helvetica!? ( bad joke..who knows)

- Phil

No comments: