Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Type stuff




(click on images to see larger version)

I was doing some research and thought that these were really good examples of expressive type. What is interesting is that even though we can’t read a lot of this stuff, the type still elicits strong impressions. This is a no-brainer - but to see such good examples is inspiring. I particularly like the use of type as part of the image i.e. incorporating letters as elements that help structure a photograph. Use of curved, fleeting and wispy type also speaks effectively, as if to say, “read it if you like, but I’m not going to say anything important” It’s difficult not to read type, but when the author dares me not to read it, I somehow feel more compelled to do so. Same with tiny type, it’s a pain to read it, but I feel like I am missing something if I don’t, or that it’s a piece of a riddle for me to solve.

Angela

No comments: