Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Volkswagon Logo



I’ve always liked the logo design for the Volkswagon company. To me, the font looks so perfectly geometrical, like it was done by a perfectionist. I guess the font could be Futura but then again I’m not particular adept in ascertaining or distinguishing one font from another. I’m not particularly interested in cars but this logo stands out to me when grouped with numerous other automobile logo designs because of all the cultural connotations that come to mind. I connect the perfectionist symmetry of the design with the rigid, strict Nazi regime headed by Hitler. It was if he wanted the polished design of the Volkswagon logo to parallel his concept of the Arians being the superior race. Because of the VW connection with Hitler, naturally there is a feeling of distaste but at the same time, I remember reading in history class how the production of the Volkswagon created countless jobs for the Germans, boasting not only national morale but the economy which was a smart move on Hitler’s part (but in the end, not so good for the rest of the world). I took the picture so that the logo shone in the light to emphasize the perfectionist aspects that the logo connotes but cropped it so that it was off-center and unbalanced that was at odds with the perfect symmetry that the ‘V’ and ‘W’ make stacked on top of each other.

Submitted by: Teri Yeung

No comments: